Monday 1 August 2016

I've booked a climbing course :-)

As preparation for my Winter Mountaineering course in February next year I have decided to sign up for an introductory climbing course with a company called Peak Mountaineering. To quote Peak Mountaineering their course is as follows:

“Peak Mountaineering's Introductory Rock Climbing Course is our most popular Peak District climbing course.  Two full days gives plenty of time to try this exciting sport as well as learning some of the essential skills.  We'll also use a variety of locations to give you a real taste of the countries first national park.

In the safe hands of Peak Mountaineering's highly experienced instructor team we'll help you gain the most from your time in a supportive and friendly environment.

Our Introductory Rock Climbing Course suits those new to climbing but it's also a very popular choice for indoor climbers who want to learn about climbing outside.  We'll provide the equipment.  We'll provide world class venues and we'll provide an expert to show you the ropes.  All you need is enthusiasm, lunch and a sense of adventure.  The only trouble is.....climb with us for two days and you'll be desperate for more!”


I really like the sound of the course and the people running it. I want to brush up on rope work and the other basics so that when I go for my course in February and hopefully on to the Alps in the future that I don't need any instruction in basic rope work. That would allow for more focus on tuition in more relevant techniques and skills. This was some advice given to me by Paul Warnock at Plas Y Brenin and I intend to follow it.

The course is £140 for two days with a maximum guide to client ratio of 1:8. My contact with Paul Lewis, the company founder, has been appropriate and quick. I've explained my aims from the course and my restriction, with which Paul was more than happy to work with me. Looking at online reviews the tuition seems to be of a high standard. As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The Peak Mountaineering web address: http://www.peakmountaineering.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment