Friday 29 August 2014

Should I join the National Trust?

The National Trust is a charity that purchases, preserves and makes access to historical man made, and natural properties within the UK. They are the UK’s biggest land owner. They use an annual membership, donations and money raised from it’s properties to fund it’s running costs. With around 3.7 million members, 61,000 volunteers and ownership of over 350 historic houses and properties, etc the National Trust is quite a large organisation. But is it worth being a member?
 


The cost of annual membership can be found at the link below:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/membership/

With every membership...

  • Free entry and parking at over 300 historic houses, gardens and countryside and coastline spaces
  • Members' Handbook the complete guide to all our places
  • Regional Newsletters packed with details of special events at locations near you
  • Three editions a year of our magazine
  • Free gift when you pay by Direct Debit

As an example, my single person membership is £58 for the year, paid direct debit. With no extra to pay. Two weeks after joining, my membership card arrived through the post.

When I was considering joining, I took into account my annual parking costs within the National Trust car parks, and found that I would save over half of my membership in buying those tickets alone. I would also have free access to the National Trust properties, ideal on those days when it’s not good for walking and you want to have a day out somewhere. Anyone who has visited Bolton Abbey will understand how much can be saved. And I would be helping pay for the repair of paths on National Trust properties in the countryside where I enjoy walking, something I think worth making some sort of contribution to, however small.


So it may be worth considering if you think, like myself, that it will possibly save you some money. And even if it doesn’t save a fortune, you will have contributed to the preservation of many stately homes and natural landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment